You are here: Home / Trekking / Trekking Huayhuash Alpine Route
Huayhuash Alpine Route / Rasac Pass
- Duration: 10 Days
- Altitud: 5240 msnm
- Route: Huayhuash Alpine Route
- Difficulty: Moderate
- Season:April - October
This alpine route is one of the most recommendable trails in The Huayhuash Mountains because it´s an incredible adventure. It traverses the base of some magnificent ice pyramids. This trail is more demanding then the classic Huayhuash route: we don’t use mules, although we still have porters that will carry the food, tents, and take care of the service.
This route requires crampons, ice axes, and a small rope, for it has some glacier passes.
Lima – Huaraz ( A Bus transfer, Travel duration around 8 hours or 50 minutes Flight from Lima
Huaraz - Aclimatizzation Churup lake
This is a very good hike for acclimatizing. From Huaraz we go by car to the village of Pitec. On the way we pass several picturesque villages, such as Unchus and Llupa.
At 3850 meter we start our easy hike up to Lake Churup with its blue colors sitting at an altitude of 4440 m underneath snow-capped Churup mountain (5495). The last 100 meter before arriving to the lake involves some scrambling over steep rocks. And then come back to Huaraz for the same way.
- Day 01: Huaraz 3100 m – Matacancha 4180 m
We will leave Huaraz and pass through Huaylas Valley to Conococha. We will have an impressive panorama of Huayhuash Mountain Chain, and appreciate the immensity of some mountains like Yerupaja, Jirishanca, Rondoy, and others. Afterwards, we will pass by the villages Llamac and Pocpa. We will install our camping.
Duration: approx. 5 hrs.
- Day 02: Matacancha 4180 m – Mitucocha Lake 4200 m
We will start this day with a zigzag trail to Cacananpunta Pass (4750 m). Afterwards, we will descend through a wide, beautiful valley which leads to the wonderful Mitucocha Lake (4200 m), where we will install our camping. We will end the day with a lateral wall through the moraine.
Duration: approx. 5 hrs.
- Day 03: Mitucocha Lake 4200 m – Carhuacocha Lake 4100 m
This day, we will start ascending through Mitucocha Valley towards Punta Carhuac Pass (4650 m). It has a great panorama of Siula and Yerupaja mountains. We will descend to Carhuacocha Lake to install the camping in an excellent ample area with a splendid view of Siula, Yerupaja and Jirishancas mountains.
Duration: approx. 5 hrs
- Day 04: Carhuacocha Lake 4100 m – Huayhuash 4350 m
We will start this long day ascending from the starting point of Queropalca Valley to Siula Pass (4800 m). It has excellent views of the mountains Carnicero, Trapicero, Yerupaja (6634 m) – the second highest mountain of the Peruvian Andes, and of Siula (6356 m). Siula Mountain became famous after it was escalated by Joe Simpson, who wrote his book ‘Touching the Void’ after this dramatic survival experience. We will descend to Huayhuash – our next camping place.
Duration: approx. 7 – 8 hrs.
- Day 05: Huayhuash 4350 m – Viconga 4500 m
In this day we will go closer to the southern part of Huayhuash Mountain Chain. We will ascend through Huayhuash Pass (4700 m) to enjoy the views towards Raura Chain and the South-Eastern face of Trapecio Mountain. We will descend towards the South, passing by Viconga Lake. We will get to the thermal baths – a great opportunity for enjoying a relaxing bath.
Duration: approx. 4 – 5 hrs.
- Day 06: Viconga 4500 m – Elephant Camp 4800 m
We will start this day’s trail towards Cuyoc Pass (5000 m) – the highest point of this trekking. It offers an impressive panoramic view of Huyhuash Mountains. We will descend through Huanacpatay Valley towards our next camping place.
Duration: approx. 7 hrs.
- Day 07: Elephant Camping 4800 m – No Name Pass – Cutatambo
After an early breakfast, we will start our walk through a narrow valley till reaching the No Name Pass. From there, we will have a magnificent view towards the North of the Huayhuash Chain, of some mountains like Yerupaja, Sarapo, Stakra, Huacris, and Siula. Later, we will descend to our camping.
- Day 08: Cutatambo – Segya Pass – Caramarca Lake
In this day, we will start our trail through some meadows till reaching 4800 m, then we will do a crossing towards Seguya Pass. It offers a panorama towards the famous eastern side of Siula Mountain, escalated by Joe Simpson and Simpson Yates in 1985. We will descend to the camping.
Duration: approx. 7 – 8 hrs.
- Day 09: Caramarca Lake – Rasac Glaciar Pass 5100 m – Jahuacocha Lake 4000 m
After the breakfast at 7 am, we will start the trail on a rocky coast towards the Rasac glacier. When reaching it, we will use the crampons to cross it. After, we will ascend on a 40° slope to the Pass, from where we will have a view towards some beautiful mountains of Huayhuash Chain, including Sarapo and Rasac.
Duration: approx. 7 Lake – 8 hrs.
- Day 10: Jahuacocha 4000 m – Pampa Llamac Pass – Huaraz
In our last day, we will descent through Jahuacocha Valley, then ascend to Pampa Llamac Pass (4250 m). From there, we will descend to Llamac village, from where we’ll take the bus to Huaraz.
Duration: approx. 6 hrs.
- Tour of Acclimatization
- Peruvian Local Guide
- Specialised cook
- First-Aid kit
- Private transportation Huaraz / according to the program / Huaraz
- Complete meals during the trekking program
- Entrance fee to the Comunity (Huayhuash)
- Donkey Driver
- Cooking equipment
- Collective technical equipment
- Toilette tent / for 2 Person
- Transfer airport/hotel/airport – Lima
- Nights Hotel in Lima / Double room with breakfast included
- Transfer/bus station/Hotel – Lima
- Bus ticket Huaraz / Lima, executive service in public bus-Movil Tours or Cruz del Sur
- Transfer hotel / busstation – Huaraz in Hotel
- Hotel in Huaraz, according to the program (3 nights). Double room with breakfast included
- Horse (in case of emergency, for trekking)
- Tour of the city
- Travel accident and health insurance
- Food and drink in Lima and Huaraz
- Personal equipment (tent, sleeping bag, backpack, harness, hiking pants, mountain jacket (goretex), hiking shoes, matraz, suitable clothing, personal medicine, crampons, ice axe, sunglasses, etc.)
Prices & Dates
Season:April - October
Dates & Prices:
Off-Price: 000,00 - 000,00 USD from 04 pax, per person
From / To
09.04 - 18.04.2018
Photo and Video