You are here: Home / Trekking / Trekking Huayhuash
Mini trek - Churin
- Duration: 08 days
- Altitud: 4850 msnm
- Route: Mini trek
- Dificult: Moderate
- Season:All year
is a mountain range within the Andes in Peru, stretching from north to south. The main part consists of about 20 peaks in only 25 km of length, including the second highest Peruvian peak Yerupaja (6617 m; after Huascaran 6768 m) and Siula Grande (6344 m), which is famous due to Joe Simpson’s book Touching the Void in which he recounts his successful but disastrous and nearly fatal climb to this mountain.
The Huayhuash trekking is known as one of the most beautiful treks in the world. Due to high altitude passes, it is not an easy trek, but the spectacular views over the surrounding mountains, turquoise blue lakes and impressive landscapes totally pay off the effort.
Lima – Huaraz ( A Bus transfer, Travel duration around 8 hours or 50 minutes Flight from Lima
Huaraz - Aclimatizzation Churup lake
This is a very good hike for acclimatizing. From Huaraz we go by car to the village of Pitec. On the way we pass several picturesque villages, such as Unchus and Llupa.
At 3850 meter we start our easy hike up to Lake Churup with its blue colors sitting at an altitude of 4440 m underneath snow-capped Churup mountain (5495). The last 100 meter before arriving to the lake involves some scrambling over steep rocks. And then come back to Huaraz for the same way.
- Day 01: Huaraz 3100 m – Matacancha / Cuartelhuain 4180 m
Starting from Huaraz, we drive through Huaylas alley to Conococha, which offers impressive panoramic views over Huayhuash mountain range. We observe many snow peaked mountains, such as Yerupaja, Jirishanca, Rondóy and others. We then drive through villages Llamac and Pocpa. Finally, we set up our camp at Matacancha. 5 hours of driving aprox.
- Day 02: Matacancha 4180 m – Lake Mitucocha 4200 m
We start our trek with a zig-zag track that leads up to Cacananpunta pass at 4750 m. We descend through a large picturesque valley that opens to a beautiful lake Mitucocha (4200 m), where we set our camp right at the lake banks. We then do a lateral trek on the moraine. 5 hours aprox.
- Day 03: Lake Mitucocha 4200 m – Lake Carhuacocha 4100 m
We start the third day walking through Mitucocha valley, ascending up to Carhuac pass (4650 m) which offers an excellent panoramic view of Siula and Yerupaja mountains. We descend down to a beautiful lake Carhuacocha to set up our camp on an idilic spot with a splendorous view over Siula mountain, complemented with Yerupaja and Jirishancas mountains. 5 hours aprox.
- Day 04: Lake Carhuacocha 4100 m – Huayhuash 4350 m
This is a long day of walking, starting at the beginning of Queropalca valley. We ascend up to Siula pass (4800 m) with excellent views over the surrounding mountains. Yerupaja (6634 m) is the second highest peak in Peru and Siula (6356 m) is an impressive mountain that was made famous by Joe Simpson’s book Touching the Void in which he recounts his successful but disastrous and nearly fatal climb to this mountain. We also get excellent views over Carnicero and Trapecio. We descend to Huayhuash to set our camp. 7-8 hours aprox.
- Day 05: Huayhuash 4350 m - Viconga 4500 m
This day we reach the most southern point of Huayhuash mountain range, ascending to Huayhuash pass at 4700 m. We get excellent views over Cordillera Raura mountain range at one side and southeastern face of Trapecio at the other. We descend south and walk along lake Viconga until we reach thermal baths. This is a great opportunity to rest and take a relaxing hot bath. 4-5 hours aprox.
- Day 06: Lake Viconga - Lake Surasaca (4350 m) - Churin
We start out hiking up to Portachuelo de Viconga pass (4800 m) where we get a spectacular views over Cordillera Raura mountain range and southern part of Cordillera Huayhuash. We then descend to lake Surasaca where our transport waits to take us to Churin valley. We pass many small villages on our way, such as Quiches, Oyon and Cashaucro. Arriving to Churin, we enjoy relaxing thermal baths. We sleep at hotel in the village. 6-7 hours aprox.
- Day 07: Churin – Lima
Trasnfer to Lima. End of our service.
- Tour of Aclimatizzation
- Peruvian Local Guide
- Specialised cook
- First-Aid kit
- Private transportation Huaraz / according to the program / Huaraz
- Complete meals during the trekking program
- Entrance fee to the Comunity (Huayhuash)
- Donkey Driver
- Cooking equipment
- Collective technical equipment
- Toilette tent / for 2 Person
- Transfer airport/hotel/airport – Lima
- Nights Hotel in Lima / Double room with breakfast included
- Transfer/bus station/Hotel – Lima
- Bus ticket Huaraz / Lima, executive service in public bus-Movil Tours or Cruz del Sur
- Transfer hotel / busstation – Huaraz in Hotel
- Hotel in Huaraz, according to the program (3 nights). Double room with breakfast included
- Horse (in case of emergency, for trekking)
- Tour of the city
- Travel accident and health insurance
- Food and drink in Lima and Huaraz
- Personal equipment (tent, sleeping bag, backpack, harness, hiking pants, mountain jacket (goretex), hiking shoes, matraz, suitable clothing, personal medicine, crampons, ice axe, sunglasses, etc.)
Prices & Dates
Season:Abril - December
Dates & Prices:
Off-Price: 00,00 - 000,00 USD from 12 pax, per person
From / To
00.04 - 00.04.2018
00.04 - 00.05.2018
1 pax: 000,00 per person
2 pax: 000,00 per person
4 pax: 000,00 per person
6 pax: 000,00 per person
8 pax: 000,00 per person
10 pax:000,00 per person
12/15 pax: 000,00 per person
Photo and Video